Our Indiana Car Accident Attorney team at Tofaute & Spelman with Over 50 Years of Experience Helps Accident Victims
Tofaute & Spelman, with 150+ years of combined experience, has been helping car accident victims for over 50 years. If you’ve been the victim of a car accident, you could be facing thousands of dollars in various expenses, such as medical expenses, car repairs, and loss of income, as well as excruciating physical and mental pain. To collect financial compensation for your various injuries, you’ll need the help of an experienced Indiana car accident attorney. We’re on your side, and we’ll use all of our considerable experience to look after your interests.
Types of Car Accidents in Indiana
Car accidents come in all types and sizes, and only a law firm like Tofaute & Spelman has the experience necessary to know everything that needs to be known about these different types of car accidents, such as:
- Head-on collisions. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) defines a head-on collision as “a collision where the front end of one vehicle collides with the front end of another vehicle while the two vehicles are traveling in opposite directions.” Head-on collisions are particularly damaging because of the total forward motion of two vehicles that are combined.
- Broadside collisions. Often referred to as “T-bone” collisions, broadside collisions are likely the second most dangerous car collision, behind only head-on collisions. These types of car accidents occur when another car smashes into your passenger or driver’s doors from the side, often because a driver failed to stop at a stop sign or tried to “beat” a yellow light.
- Rear-end collisions. Rear-end collisions, the most common type of car accident, are most likely to occur when traffic is backed up, often resulting in famous 150-car pile-ups you see on the news.
- Multi-car collisions. A multi-car collision occurs when more than one vehicle is involved in an accident and, as mentioned above, occasionally results in spectacular freeway pileups.
All of these types of car accidents come with their own set of legal and factual issues, and after 50 years of helping accident victims, we have likely seen a case just like yours.
Proving Your Claim in Indiana
As the victim of a car accident, it may seem clear to you that the other party was at fault. However, the at-fault driver may deny responsibility and even lie about what happened.
The insurance company will attempt to disprove or minimize every single element of your claim, even the most obvious. If the opposing party or an insurance company refuses to agree to a favorable settlement, you will have to take them to court. Therefore, it is helpful for you to know what has to be proven:
- Duty. The other driver had a legal duty of care to drive with reasonable care sufficient to prevent harm to other drivers and pedestrians. That is to say; every driver has a legal obligation to drive reasonably safely.
- Breach. The other driver breached this duty of care by failing to drive in a reasonably safe manner. The facts showing the other driver’s unsafe driving behavior will have to be shown through evidence.
- Cause. The other driver’s behavior was a significant cause of the accident. That is to say, the other driver’s negligence caused your accident. The other driver may claim, even to the point of outright lying, that something else caused the accident, such as your behavior or the behavior of another driver, actually caused the accident.
- Damages. You’ve experienced a monetary loss from the injuries sustained in the accident. This comes in the form, for example, of medical bills, car or property damage, and missed work.
How An Indiana Car Accident Attorney At Tofaute & Spelman Can Help if You’ve Been Involved in an Car Accident
We’ll handle your insurance company, any opposing party or their lawyers, and even the police if necessary. An Indiana car accident attorney will fight for your just compensation until you have received it. Contact us today. We offer FREE consultations, same-day return phone calls, and emails, multilingual staff, and we are available 24/7/365.